Tom Ford FW19 Review

Tom Ford is one of the first names that comes to mind when I think of “Grown and Sexy” fashion. For his Fall/Winter 2019 collection, I’m reminded of 1970’s black cinema (think “Super Fly” or “Willie Dynamite”), and the beautifully tailored pant/suits, made of shiny fabrics... and his plush, slightly oversized, faux fur coats and jackets lends itself to that aesthetic as well. Even the way the models strut down the catwalk gave me the impression of having an attitude; the models walk had a sense of confidence. The large, faux fur hats that were styled to the side and over the eye definitely helped me identify this reference.

Ford’s use of color propelled me into upbeat emotions of liveliness and vibrancy. Pastel pinks and lavenders paired with silver-like grey fabrics made the audience feel like they could go to a 9 to 5 office job and not look boring. One of my favorite fashion journalists, Robin Givhan of the Washington Post said this about the collection: “Ford’s was a reassuring collection, one that said, ‘It’s okay. It’s going to be all right.’” I agree with Ms. Givhan. Considering the current political climate… themes, thoughts and textiles that evoke feelings of confidence and vibrancy are welcomed.

Comments